Skip to main content

Installing a ceiling mounted WiFi Access Point

A lot of home WiFi stinks because the WiFi device is poorly placed. The beauty of a ceiling mounted WiFi access point is that it can be positioned optimally for signal excellence. And with excellent signal strength you can get away with many fewer WiFi units, resulting in lower costs, higher speeds, and higher reliability.

MikroTik cAP AC

I was remodeling my house, and during the work the ceiling near the center of my house became fairly accessible. I figured that a single optimally-positioned WiFi access point might be able provide WiFi to my entire house.

Initial Planning

I chose to buy a MikroTik cAP AC WiFi access point. This is a great little device, and I've had a lot of fun and success with MikroTik, and the price was right.

The MikroTik is powered over Ethernet (PoE), as are most professional-class WiFi access points. This means that the device doesn't need any additional power outlets or cables.

There are many ways to do Power over Ethernet (PoE). The MikroTik cAP AC comes with an Ethernet power injector, but since I have numerous PoE devices I instead elected to use a PoE switch. I bought and installed a low-cost PoE switch in my basement, which I mounted on my networking backboard. 

I also needed some decent Ethernet cable. Lousy cable is a poor choice if you're installing it in a wall or ceiling. I was going to buy a 1000 foot spool of wire even though I only needed about 40 feet (or so I thought). But I eventually convinced myself to avoid over-buying and instead purchases 100 feet of quality Cat 6 cable. After all, ~ 950 feet of extra cable sitting in my basement for years on end is a complete waste of cable for everyone.

Rough Positioning

My first step was to figure out exactly where the WiFi access point (AP) should be placed on the ceiling. My house is not a simple rectangle and does not have a simple geometric center, and so placing the AP in the exact center took some thought. Considering the building's shape, the rooms, the outdoor deck and the patio, I concluded that the best position for the WiFi AP would be on the northern side of my dining room ceiling. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the ceiling, exactly where I wanted the WiFi access point to go.

Installing the Ethernet Wire

My next step was to drag a wire to that location.

Using a fish tape, I pushed a cotton string into the ceiling, above the drywall. Then, by sticking a coat hanger wire up the ceiling hole, I caught the string and pulled it out the hole. Then I attached the Cat6 cable to the far end of the string and pulled it down through the ceiling hole. After the cable was drawn through, I terminated the cable using a RJ45 plug, conforming to my building's Ethernet wiring standard.

I routed the other end of the Ethernet cable down the wall and into the basement and over to my PoE switch. In all, I used about 60 feet of my 100 foot cable, which was about 50% more than I originally calculated. The lesson learned here is that it is smart to assume that your estimation skills are imperfect. In any case, I still have 40 feet of nice Cat6 cable left over for future uses.

Installing the Access Point

At that point I screwed the mounting plate to the ceiling with a couple of screws and twisted the cAP AC into place. From there, the lights started to glow and I was up and running.

Outcome

Performance and reliability is great. I was originally envisioning the possibility of installing additional access points: one to cover the basement, and another to cover the top floor. Given that the single well-placed access point easily covers my entire property, those plans have been cancelled. I might change my mind if some future tech requires it. 

The AP is pretty. Everyone loves the fact there all the network gear and cabling is now out of sight. I can turn off the AP's LED so it never glows or blinks (unlike what's shown in my photo).

Installation Efficiency Tips

I waited for a major remodeling effort to install this ceiling access point. In hindsight, that was unnecessary.

I learned that this kind of wiring project need not wait for a remodeling job. If you're merely in the need of interior painting, that's a great time to put in a cable. That's because cutting holes in drywall to fish cables, and then repairing the drywall is a very small effort. Drywall work is very affordable, and it can look perfect after repair.

Cost and Conclusion

The total installation cost was under $90. The expenses included the MikroTik cAP AC Wifi access point, and 100 feet of Cat6 cable, plus some minor odds and ends. Importantly, the Cat6 cable is in now a part of the building and will be useful for decades to come.

If you are willing and able to install Ethernet cabling, installing a ceiling-mounted WiFi access point is a decisive win.

 


Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Keep That Old Printer, or, New Printers Stink

Old laser printers have some notable advantages over many newer printers. An old laser can be found for little money. You can easily find great working printers on Craig's List for under $40. My old-school HP LaserJet 5L - still works like a champ! The inexpensive toner cartridges for these printers can often be found on Amazon for under $20 each. And each cartridge, typically rated for several thousand pages, can last five times longer than many more expensive inkjet cartridges. And these old printers are solid. Many were designed last for years in high volume situations. And they were designed to be maintained, instead of thrown away. My laser is nearly 15 years old and it keeps on ticking. Keeping it Modern Buying a good old fashion laser jet for under $40 is easy. But it likely has an old-fashion Parallel interface on it - meaning that your computer can't even use it. What to do? My answer was to buy an Epson Net C823781 Print Server . It isn't the latest device...

Repairing a Crate TX15 Taxi amplifier battery

A friend gave me a Crate battery guitar amp that he used for busking. It is a nice 15 watt amp with an internal battery. Sadly it died, and its custom power adapter was misplaced. After several years the battery will fail, and it requires a functioning battery to work at all. Happily, new batteries are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to install. Obtaining a replacement battery for the TX15 The original battery was a 4+ pound, sealed lead battery. Any replacement battery should closely follow the specs of the original. I bought this MightyMax Battery on Amazon , which is a perfect replacement. There are many batteries that conform to the needs of the TX15, and they can be found at local hardware stores as they are commonly used in lots of equipment. It pays to look locally if you need something faster than Amazon.  The battery specs are as follows: 12 Volt, 7.2 Ah lead battery (mine was marked 1272). Length: 5.94" (151 mm)  Width: 2.56" (65 mm) Height: 3.94" (100...

Installing the Eve Smart MotionBlind Upgrade with my Large Roller Shade

I have a large window in the front of my house and a roller shade was just the right window treatment for it.  But I also wanted to automate it. My MotionBlind Upgrade kit and my new roller shade I looked around to buy something that I was comfortable with, but simple non-automated roller blinds can be expensive, especially when they're larger than 6 ft x 6 ft.   This is disappointing, as a roller blind is just a tube with a small amount of synthetic cloth but can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Plus, since I wanted a smarthome blind, we're talking $500 or more from the "service oriented shops". I'm a tech guy.  I think can do better. After thinking about DIY and creative solutions, I decided to try out the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade (MBU) kit.  This kit transforms an ordinary roller blind into a smart blind.  The MotionBlinds mechanism is basically consists of a small motor and battery in a long metal tube.  This motor tube slides into a roller blind ...

The Yamaha DD-65 and YDD-60 Digital Drums

Almost everyone I know who is into drums should get their hands on the Yamaha DD65 . It's a low cost, fun little kit that you can throw in your car to jam with your buddies. It's a lot easier than throwing your gear in your Subaru. The DD-65, also known as the YDD-60. Eight pads in a pretty package. I've owned the older, venerable DD-55 for about five years. The DD-55 is the ancestor of the newer DD-65, and is an evolution of the DD-50, which was first released some time in the mid 1990s. I just put my DD-55 on this light snare drum stand it's ready for some jamming. The classic DD-55. Seven pads of rockin' fun, since about 2001. Yes, everyone will tell you that the DD-55 isn't actually a real drum kit. No kidding. However, a skilled drummer can get some great sound out of this little box, and you can definitely keep the band together with it. Plus, it's perfect for apartment living.

Fix a bad MacBook trackpad

The Problem: A Poorly-Behaving Trackpad Button MacBook trackpads buttons are going bad. Happily, there is a quick and technically-simple fix that may work for many MacBook owners with a misbehaving trackpad. A few months ago I started to notice that my trackpad was operating in a funky manner. The trackpad button had lost its solid click and turned mushy. As I typed the trackpad button would mistakenly register clicks, and the cursor would jump all over the place; The cursor would jump around and my words would end up jumbled. Or a button press wouldn't register at all, and I'd end up trying to smash down of the button with no response. It was the worst experience I’ve ever had with a keyboard and mouse. I tried every technique I could find on the web to try to fix my bad trackpad button – from sliding paper through the gap around button, to MacBook disassembly and vacuuming everything. Nothing made it better. My MacBook was fairly unusable, and getting worse. Af...

Other Posts

Show more