Skip to main content

How I reduced my apartment building's lighting costs by 90%

The apartment building we own has "common" lighting in the hallways and stairwells. Lighting accounts for our largest share of electricity. I've worked over the years to reduce the lighting costs. Here is how I reduced our lighting expenses by a whopping 90%.

Pursuit 1: 70% savings by moving from CFLs to LEDs and reducing bulb count

My first pursuit was to simply transition from CFL lightbulbs to LEDs. LEDs are generally lower wattage than CFLs, and given the extraordinary reliability of quality LEDs, I no longer needed in-fixture bulb redundancy.

I happened to come across a set of Energy Star certified Cree LED bulbs and used them to replace all of the old CFLs.† This reduced the building's lighting expense by about 70%. This change also greatly reduced my labor costs, because the CREE LEDs have been 100% reliable for the past 6 years, unlike the old bulbs which needed to replaced every year or so. The reliability of the CREE LEDs have been so high that over the past six years, we have needed to replace a grand total of zero CREE LEDs.

Pursuit 2: 35% more savings with a Lighting Photosensor

About a year later, I got to thinking: all of our common areas have larger windows, so we didn't really need electric lighting on bright days. Therefore we installed a Woods photosensor, so that all the indoor common lighting automatically turn off on bright days, and then automatically turn back on when it gets a little dark. This change reduced the lights-on time from 24 hours per day to something more like 16 hours a day (depending on the weather and time of year).

This reduced the building's lighting expense by about 35%, bringing my total lighting cost reduction to about 80%. 

And then a Pause...

After implementing the above changes, I couldn't think of a new way to reduce costs. I left the lighting as-is for 5 years. It worked, everyone was happy, and our costs were low. But a few weeks ago I bought a pack of 3 Watt Sunco LEDs for my own home, and I got to thinking....

Pursuit 3: 50% Savings with Lower Brightness LEDs

The common areas only need to be bright enough for navigation, and lower brightness bulbs use significantly less electricity.

I replaced all of the 6 watt CREE LEDs with 3 watt SUNCO LEDs.† The CREEs were still working great, but by reducing the current brightness 40% cut the power costs by about 50%.

Overall Savings: 90.25%

All together, I've reduced the building's lighting costs by a crazy 90.25%. Instead of spending $500 a year on lighting electricity, we now spend $49 a year. Or another way of looking at it: Over the next 5 years these changes will save about $2300. That's an incredible savings, and it was stupidly inexpensive and easy to implement.

Recommendations, and Next Steps

One thing I did right in all this is that I bought quality, long-life Energy Star-certified LEDs. I would never buy any non-certified LED again, as I do not want to be in the light bulb replacement business. I have had bad experiences with non-certified mystery-name bulb brands, with fading phosphors, flickering, and just outright failure. My strong recommendation is to stick with certified bulbs that support dimming and all-weather use, using the principle that robust bulbs will last a very, very long time.

At this point I cannot think of another way to further reduce our lighting costs. I suppose one option is to install a very smart occupancy sensor, but I imagine that would have to wait until we do some major electrical work. Let me know if you have any additional ideas.

Since I have optimized my lighting costs, I will next focus on reducing the load of some of our remaining large energy consumers, such as the laundry equipment. 

 † we kept all the working bulbs taken out of service, and have used them elsewhere.

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Old Apple gear that keeps on ticking

I've been dealing with Apple computer gear for a long time, as have my friends and family. Here is a list of the old gear that me and/or my friends have in active service.   Note that this gear is in real service, and isn't treated as museum pieces or as part of a retro-computing hobby. 2008: Apple Airport Express, draft-N, first generation 2009: Apple MacBook, late 2009 (utility use only) 2010: Apple iPod nano, 6th generation 2013: Apple Airport Extreme AC 2015: Apple TV HD (4th generation) The big winner here is the Airport Express, which is modern enough to do its job, and it just keeps on going.  The device that my friend runs has been in operation for more than 125000 hours.  It received its most recent firmware update on 28 August 2018, 10+ years after its initial release. In terms of security: it has no open, unpatched CVE vulnerability reports.  Many generations of other routers have come and go while this one keeps going.

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

Repairing the Roland HD-1 V-Drums pedals

I have a Roland HD-1 V-drum kit that is about 15 years old.  It was sitting for years when I got it, and when I put it all together it was clear that the pedals were not working.  Boo!  Time for a repair. Roland HD-1 Pedal Hammer under a Heat Gun. How the HD-1 pedals work With the Roland, a pedal actuates a variable resistor.  When you step on a pedal, it presses on the variable resistor.  Putting force on the pedal reduces the resistance of the resistor. A little force results in a small decrease in resistance.  A high amount of force greatly lowers the resistance.  The HD-1's computer detects this and makes the appropriate sound. There are two important parts to this mechanism: the electronic resistive strip, and a rubber hammer which presses on the strip in a variable way.  There is no internal difference between the left and right pedal. The guts of each pedal is identical.  Where it goes wrong with age Looking at mine, the problem was wi...

Using a Garmin eTrex with a Macintosh or Linux

The Garmin eTrex series consists of decent, full featured handheld GPS units. The cheaper monochrome eTrex models have a basic RS-232 serial interface, and the color eTrex models sport USB connectivity. In this article I'll talk about my experience with connecting both USB and serial port versions of the eTrex series to my Mac and to my Linux-based PC. I personally use the Garmin Vista HCx GPS now, but the other Garmins in the eTrex series, including the inexpensive but well specified Garmin eTrex Venture should work the same way. Dealing with the eTrex Series with USB Most of the eTrex units with a color screen have a USB port on the back. Happily, this USB port uses a common USB connector, so it is easy to physically connect a USB eTrex to a Mac or a PC running Linux. The USB Port on an eTrex I have found two pieces of software perfect for use with a USB eTrex, without the need for special drivers: GPSBabel+ and Google Earth . The Mac version of the freeware program ...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Other Posts

Show more