My monthly average consumption has gone from a peak of 283 KWH/Month in 2003, down to 131 KWH/Month - a reduction of almost 55%!
The techniques I used for cutting my electric consumption by 55% are:
- Replaced traditional lightbulbs with CFL bulbs.
- Turn off lights, appliances, and equipment when not in active use.
- Set my refrigerator to about 38 degrees F, and the freezer to 5 degrees F
- Turned off the useless "anti-sweat" feature of my refrigerator
- Run dish washer and wash clothes only when the load is full - and when they don't have to compete with the airconditioner (or can assist in heating)
- Only run the air conditioner and fans when someone is home.