Skip to main content

Modernizing old house network wiring - Part 3 - CAT5 Analysis

It's another day, and now it's time to analyze the CAT5 wiring.

Last time I disconnected all the house wiring from the telephone company.  I removed all the old telephone-style RJ11 jacks.  And then I crimped new RJ45 connectors onto the cables using the 568B standard.

The Plan

Now I plan to identify and test each cable.  Which cable in the basement is connected to which specific wall jack?  Does that cable look healthy, with all 8 conductors properly working?  All of this requires a simple tester and running around the building.

Getting the right Ethernet cable tester.

A tester is important because it makes it really easy to check the basic health of a cable.  I have a very cheap tester, so it only does the most basic continuity test of a traditional cable with traditional "RJ" connectors.  My tester can't identify what exactly is wrong... it's basically "looks OK" or "something's not right", and it leaves it to me to figure out exactly what's not right.

But it was inexpensive.  Like under $10 inexpensive.  So I don't feel too bad because it does the job and I hope not to find too much bad stuff.  Ha.  Maybe in the future I'll buy a slightly better tester.

Outlet Identification and Testing Process

Now that I have an RJ45 connector exposed at each jack, and a RJ45 connector for each cable at the "telecom center" in my basement, it should be easy to test.

I will plug in the "small unit" of the tester into a cable in the basement, and then I'll run around the building to each outlet and plug in the "big end" of the tester.  Once any lights appear on the tester, I'll know which basement cable connects to that outlet.   If less than all of the 8 little lights glow, I'll know that there is something weird going on with that cable.

Hopefully, using this process I'll be able to quickly identify which cable in the basement goes to which jack, and I'll be able to assess the health of each cable.

Marking the cables

This is the easy part.  I'll use my trusty Brother label maker to put an identifier on each of the cables in the basement, such as "Living Rm East" or "Kitchen" or whatever.  I'll make a note if any of the cables show if fewer than 8 conductors are connected.

Cable Testing

OK, I did it all.   I plugged the small test unit into one of the cables in the basement and started to run around to all the jacks in the house.  The first jack, in the finished part of the basement, had all 8 lights glowing.  Success!   I labelled the cable "Basement East".  Then I repeated the testing process for each cable and jack.

Well, not all was perfect.  Here's what I found:

  1. Basement East = good
  2. Den South = good
  3. Living Room = good
  4. Den North = good
  5. Kitchen = conductor 8 seems bad
  6. Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Master Bed = only conductor 5 works???

OK, clearly some is good!  Yay!  That's far better than nothing.  But the kitchen is a little broken, and the upstairs bedrooms are very weird.  Time to dig into that!

Analysis of the Broken & Miswired

Kitchen - conductor 8 is not working.

My tester, despite its weaknesses, shows that the 8th conductor is not working.  That could be due one of the connectors, or a break inside the cable itself.   I visually inspected the connectors and they look great to me, and so I'll need to look at this cable a little more closely.

But there is good news, the first being is that if this cable is bad, it'll be very easy to replace.  The kitchen is almost immediately above the telecom panel in the basement.  Ripping out and replacing this single cable would be very easy.

But there is even better news.  I have no plans to plug a device into the kitchen.  Furthermore, plain old 100Mbit ethernet doesn't even use the number 8 conductor. 

So I just marked the cable with "Bad #8", so I won't forget, and move onto solving important problems.

Bedrooms - All bad

All the bedrooms seem to connect to a single cable in the basement.  Furthermore, my tester is showing that only conductor 5 is working.  This is completely weird, because at least two conductors are required to make a circuit.  But whatever: none of the bedroom cables are ready for Ethernet.

To me, it looks like a single Cat5 cable runs from the basement to the attic, and from there there are some splices to distribute the old telecom pairs to each of the rooms.

Next Time...

Next time, I hope to get into the attic and see if I can find any of this cabling and any junction boxes, and make it sane.

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Keep That Old Printer, or, New Printers Stink

Old laser printers have some notable advantages over many newer printers. An old laser can be found for little money. You can easily find great working printers on Craig's List for under $40. My old-school HP LaserJet 5L - still works like a champ! The inexpensive toner cartridges for these printers can often be found on Amazon for under $20 each. And each cartridge, typically rated for several thousand pages, can last five times longer than many more expensive inkjet cartridges. And these old printers are solid. Many were designed last for years in high volume situations. And they were designed to be maintained, instead of thrown away. My laser is nearly 15 years old and it keeps on ticking. Keeping it Modern Buying a good old fashion laser jet for under $40 is easy. But it likely has an old-fashion Parallel interface on it - meaning that your computer can't even use it. What to do? My answer was to buy an Epson Net C823781 Print Server . It isn't the latest device...

Repairing a Crate TX15 Taxi amplifier battery

A friend gave me a Crate battery guitar amp that he used for busking. It is a nice 15 watt amp with an internal battery. Sadly it died, and its custom power adapter was misplaced. After several years the battery will fail, and it requires a functioning battery to work at all. Happily, new batteries are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to install. Obtaining a replacement battery for the TX15 The original battery was a 4+ pound, sealed lead battery. Any replacement battery should closely follow the specs of the original. I bought this MightyMax Battery on Amazon , which is a perfect replacement. There are many batteries that conform to the needs of the TX15, and they can be found at local hardware stores as they are commonly used in lots of equipment. It pays to look locally if you need something faster than Amazon.  The battery specs are as follows: 12 Volt, 7.2 Ah lead battery (mine was marked 1272). Length: 5.94" (151 mm)  Width: 2.56" (65 mm) Height: 3.94" (100...

Installing the Eve Smart MotionBlind Upgrade with my Large Roller Shade

I have a large window in the front of my house and a roller shade was just the right window treatment for it.  But I also wanted to automate it. My MotionBlind Upgrade kit and my new roller shade I looked around to buy something that I was comfortable with, but simple non-automated roller blinds can be expensive, especially when they're larger than 6 ft x 6 ft.   This is disappointing, as a roller blind is just a tube with a small amount of synthetic cloth but can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Plus, since I wanted a smarthome blind, we're talking $500 or more from the "service oriented shops". I'm a tech guy.  I think can do better. After thinking about DIY and creative solutions, I decided to try out the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade (MBU) kit.  This kit transforms an ordinary roller blind into a smart blind.  The MotionBlinds mechanism is basically consists of a small motor and battery in a long metal tube.  This motor tube slides into a roller blind ...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

Transitioning to Comcast Now!

I've transitioned to Comcast NOW, a lower speed, lower cost alternative.  The kids have grown up and moved out.  I'm spending much more of my time traveling.  I don't need the high speeds at home like I used to. This transition promises to save me $240 dollars a year versus my old "discounted" plan. Xfinity to Comcast Now transitioning process I went to the Xfinity store and told them I was cancelling two weeks out.  This isn't weird - people move all the time, so they do have a process for cancelling at a future ("move-out") date. Later the same day, I was able to go to the Comcast website and order the NOW modem for the new service. Note that Comcast didn't let me do this until I had a future cancel order in place.  Three days later, the modem arrived via FedEx. The cancel date came and went - Xfinity seems to have a grace period, so the old modem wasn't unceremoniously yanked out of service at midnight.  This made the transition smooth.  ...

Other Posts

Show more