Skip to main content

Repairing a MagSafe Charger's Cord

Here is how to repair the cord of Apple MacSafe power adapters.

There are three common failure modes of a magsafe wire:
  1. The base of the cord becomes frayed where the wire enters the power brick.  This is usually caused by repeatedly wrapping the cord far too tightly around the brick's "ears".
  2. The head of the magsafe connector becomes frayed.  This is usually caused by repeatedly removing the magsafe magnet by yanking on the cord.
  3. Chewed up cord.  This is where a pet or other pinching device weakens the cord.
These types of failure are usually repairable at home using the technique described here.

Tools Required:

  1. A beginner's Soldering kit, like this one, including a low-wattage soldering iron, rosin-core Solder, and wire strippers.
  2. Heat shrink tubing.   Any color works, but these days I use white to repair a MagSafe cord.
  3. One Soldering Sleeve, appropriate for 22 or 24 AWG wire
  4. Heat gun (optional.)

Process: 

The general process is to (1) repair any broken segments of the cable, (2) use heat shrink tubing to strengthen the cable's weak points, and (3) use heat shrink tubing to protect any repairs.

Step 0: Unplug the adapter from both ends.  Of course.

Step 1. Identify the problem ... and cut the cord

First I need to figure out where the problem is.  Are the ends just fraying but the center of the cord look good?  Great!  Then I will use my wire cutters to cut the cord about 1 foot from the power brick.

If the cord is broken in the middle, then I will use wire cutters to cut the cable and removing the flawed section.
Cut out bad section of the cord

Step 2: Heat Shrink

Slide a roughly 2 inch piece of heat shrink tubing over one of the wires.  It should be pushed down far away from the end of the cable that is being worked on in order to prevent it from shrinking too early.  If the ends are starting to weaken, slide another piece of heat shrink all the way to the end and shrink in place.


Slide on heat shrink tube

3. On each end, strip about 1 inch off of the outer plastic coating of the outer wire




4. Twist the metal wires together, revealing the internal wire.


The outer sheathing is twisted on both ends

5. Strip about a quarter inch of the insulation off of the inner wire.
6. Twist together the external wires.

The external sheathing is rejoined by twisting. The inner wires are striped
7. Solder the external sheathing together.
8. Allow work to cool (about 5 minutes) 
External sheathing is soldered together

9. Stick solder sleeve into place in order to join inner wire.  Trim solder sleeve as necessary.
Solder Sleeve
Solder Sleeve, trimmed and placed over joint

9. Heat solder sleeve until its internal solder melts and the sleeve shrinks tight.
10. Allow for work to cool (about 5 minutes)

Activated Solder Sleeve


11. Slide heat shrink tube over exposed "wound"
Heat shrink tube over wound

12. Shrink tubing with heat source.

13. Test.  Success!

Additional Tips

I have an alternative approach that works well:
  1. Original steps (step 1 through 5) are the same.
  2. Then, use a solder sleeve for the inner wire (step 9).  Let cool.
  3. Bind the outer cable with some wire wrap wire and then solder.  Let cool.
  4. Apply shrink tubing over cut (step 11-13).  Use white heat shrink tube.
This process results in a slightly smaller repair area, and seems stronger too.









Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Keep That Old Printer, or, New Printers Stink

Old laser printers have some notable advantages over many newer printers. An old laser can be found for little money. You can easily find great working printers on Craig's List for under $40. My old-school HP LaserJet 5L - still works like a champ! The inexpensive toner cartridges for these printers can often be found on Amazon for under $20 each. And each cartridge, typically rated for several thousand pages, can last five times longer than many more expensive inkjet cartridges. And these old printers are solid. Many were designed last for years in high volume situations. And they were designed to be maintained, instead of thrown away. My laser is nearly 15 years old and it keeps on ticking. Keeping it Modern Buying a good old fashion laser jet for under $40 is easy. But it likely has an old-fashion Parallel interface on it - meaning that your computer can't even use it. What to do? My answer was to buy an Epson Net C823781 Print Server . It isn't the latest device...

Repairing a Crate TX15 Taxi amplifier battery

A friend gave me a Crate battery guitar amp that he used for busking. It is a nice 15 watt amp with an internal battery. Sadly it died, and its custom power adapter was misplaced. After several years the battery will fail, and it requires a functioning battery to work at all. Happily, new batteries are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to install. Obtaining a replacement battery for the TX15 The original battery was a 4+ pound, sealed lead battery. Any replacement battery should closely follow the specs of the original. I bought this MightyMax Battery on Amazon , which is a perfect replacement. There are many batteries that conform to the needs of the TX15, and they can be found at local hardware stores as they are commonly used in lots of equipment. It pays to look locally if you need something faster than Amazon.  The battery specs are as follows: 12 Volt, 7.2 Ah lead battery (mine was marked 1272). Length: 5.94" (151 mm)  Width: 2.56" (65 mm) Height: 3.94" (100...

Installing the Eve Smart MotionBlind Upgrade with my Large Roller Shade

I have a large window in the front of my house and a roller shade was just the right window treatment for it.  But I also wanted to automate it. My MotionBlind Upgrade kit and my new roller shade I looked around to buy something that I was comfortable with, but simple non-automated roller blinds can be expensive, especially when they're larger than 6 ft x 6 ft.   This is disappointing, as a roller blind is just a tube with a small amount of synthetic cloth but can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Plus, since I wanted a smarthome blind, we're talking $500 or more from the "service oriented shops". I'm a tech guy.  I think can do better. After thinking about DIY and creative solutions, I decided to try out the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade (MBU) kit.  This kit transforms an ordinary roller blind into a smart blind.  The MotionBlinds mechanism is basically consists of a small motor and battery in a long metal tube.  This motor tube slides into a roller blind ...

The Yamaha DD-65 and YDD-60 Digital Drums

Almost everyone I know who is into drums should get their hands on the Yamaha DD65 . It's a low cost, fun little kit that you can throw in your car to jam with your buddies. It's a lot easier than throwing your gear in your Subaru. The DD-65, also known as the YDD-60. Eight pads in a pretty package. I've owned the older, venerable DD-55 for about five years. The DD-55 is the ancestor of the newer DD-65, and is an evolution of the DD-50, which was first released some time in the mid 1990s. I just put my DD-55 on this light snare drum stand it's ready for some jamming. The classic DD-55. Seven pads of rockin' fun, since about 2001. Yes, everyone will tell you that the DD-55 isn't actually a real drum kit. No kidding. However, a skilled drummer can get some great sound out of this little box, and you can definitely keep the band together with it. Plus, it's perfect for apartment living.

Fix a bad MacBook trackpad

The Problem: A Poorly-Behaving Trackpad Button MacBook trackpads buttons are going bad. Happily, there is a quick and technically-simple fix that may work for many MacBook owners with a misbehaving trackpad. A few months ago I started to notice that my trackpad was operating in a funky manner. The trackpad button had lost its solid click and turned mushy. As I typed the trackpad button would mistakenly register clicks, and the cursor would jump all over the place; The cursor would jump around and my words would end up jumbled. Or a button press wouldn't register at all, and I'd end up trying to smash down of the button with no response. It was the worst experience I’ve ever had with a keyboard and mouse. I tried every technique I could find on the web to try to fix my bad trackpad button – from sliding paper through the gap around button, to MacBook disassembly and vacuuming everything. Nothing made it better. My MacBook was fairly unusable, and getting worse. Af...

Other Posts

Show more