Skip to main content

Apple-Supplied MacBook Battery Weight Matters

I buy a lot of aftermarket batteries for MacBooks, and judging by weight, it is very clear that 3rd party batteries are significantly lighter than the originals.

That means that the aftermarket batteries simply cannot provide as much power.

Analysis:

There are three major parts to a laptop battery:
  • The housing, made of plastic and/or aluminum
  • The battery management electronics and power connector
  • The lithium cells
So let's think of everything that makes up a battery except the lithium cells: It seems like a good bet that a genuine Apple battery's housing and electronics has roughly the same weight as an aftermarket battery.  For argument's sake, let's say that a battery unit weights 100 grams PLUS the weight of the cells.

That implies that a lighter battery has smaller (or fewer) cells!

For example, I have a genuine MacBook battery that weights 364 grams.  My aftermarket battery weighs 230 grams.  Assuming that 100 grams is for non-cell componentry, that means the genuine battery has 264 grams of energy cells versus 130 grams of energy cells for the aftermarket battery. 

Doing the math, that means that a genuine MacBook battery has more than twice the battery than the aftermarket battery.  Although the batteries are rated the same, it is virtually impossible that these devices actually deliver the same power.

What about my battery?

Each factory-delivered Apple battery model has a weight.  Below is a list of original MacBook batteries that I've measured.  Check to see how your MacBook battery measures up!

MacBook Air, 13 inch 

Apple Battery Model Number: A1405
Power Label: 7.3VDC, 50Wh, 6700mAh
Official Battery's Weight: 296 grams (Source: MacBook Air 13-inch (mid-2012) 020-7379-A)

All of these MacBook Air models use the A1405 form factor:
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Late 2010
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Mid 2011
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Mid 2012
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Mid 2013
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Early 2014
  • Apple MacBook Air 13 inch, Early 2015

MacBook Pro, 15 inch Unibody

Apple Battery Model Number:  A1321
Power Label: 10.95 VDC, 73 Wh
Official Battery's Weight: 450 grams (Source: MacBook Pro 15-inch (mid-2009) 020-6380-A)

The following MacBook Pro models use the A1321 form factor:
  • MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, Mid 2009
  • MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, Mid 2010

MacBook Pro, 13 inch Unibody

Apple Battery Model Number:  A
Power Label: 10.95 VDC, 73 Wh
Official Battery's Weight: 450 grams (Source: MacBook Pro 13-inch (mid-2009) 020-6380-A)

The following MacBook Pro models use the A1321 form factor:
  • MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, Mid 2009
  • MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, Mid 2010
Aftermarket Weight:

MacBook, 13 inch Unibody (white)

Apple Battery Model Number:  A1331
Power Label:10.95 VDC, 63.5 Wh
Official Battery's Weight: 364 grams (Source: Three MacBook 13-inch (mid-2010) 020-6809-A batteries)

The following MacBook models use the A1331 form factor:
  • MacBook 13 inch, Late 2009
  • MacBook 13 inch, Mid 2010
My aftermarket A1331 compatible battery:
Rating Label Claim: 10.95V, 5800mAh/63.5Wh
Weight is 270 grams.

My latest aftermarket A1331 compatible battery:
Rating Label Claim: 10.95V, 5800mAh/63.5Wh
Weight is 230 grams.  Atrocious!

MacBook, 13 inch (white, non-Unibody)

I haven't measured a genuine Apple battery for these models, but I do have details for my aftermarket battery.  If you have a genuine Apple battery, please let me know the details!

Apple Battery Model Number: A1185
Power Label:
Official Battery's Weight: ??? grams (Source: Maybe you?  Let me know!)

The following MacBook models use the A1185 form factor:
  • MacBook 13 inch, 2006 through mid-2009
My aftermarket A1185 compatible battery:
Rating Label Claim: 10.8V, 5600mAh/60Wh
Weight is 280 grams.
Note: the aftermarket battery has a housing that is all plastic, instead of partially aluminum

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Keep That Old Printer, or, New Printers Stink

Old laser printers have some notable advantages over many newer printers. An old laser can be found for little money. You can easily find great working printers on Craig's List for under $40. My old-school HP LaserJet 5L - still works like a champ! The inexpensive toner cartridges for these printers can often be found on Amazon for under $20 each. And each cartridge, typically rated for several thousand pages, can last five times longer than many more expensive inkjet cartridges. And these old printers are solid. Many were designed last for years in high volume situations. And they were designed to be maintained, instead of thrown away. My laser is nearly 15 years old and it keeps on ticking. Keeping it Modern Buying a good old fashion laser jet for under $40 is easy. But it likely has an old-fashion Parallel interface on it - meaning that your computer can't even use it. What to do? My answer was to buy an Epson Net C823781 Print Server . It isn't the latest device...

Repairing a Crate TX15 Taxi amplifier battery

A friend gave me a Crate battery guitar amp that he used for busking. It is a nice 15 watt amp with an internal battery. Sadly it died, and its custom power adapter was misplaced. After several years the battery will fail, and it requires a functioning battery to work at all. Happily, new batteries are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to install. Obtaining a replacement battery for the TX15 The original battery was a 4+ pound, sealed lead battery. Any replacement battery should closely follow the specs of the original. I bought this MightyMax Battery on Amazon , which is a perfect replacement. There are many batteries that conform to the needs of the TX15, and they can be found at local hardware stores as they are commonly used in lots of equipment. It pays to look locally if you need something faster than Amazon.  The battery specs are as follows: 12 Volt, 7.2 Ah lead battery (mine was marked 1272). Length: 5.94" (151 mm)  Width: 2.56" (65 mm) Height: 3.94" (100...

Installing the Eve Smart MotionBlind Upgrade with my Large Roller Shade

I have a large window in the front of my house and a roller shade was just the right window treatment for it.  But I also wanted to automate it. My MotionBlind Upgrade kit and my new roller shade I looked around to buy something that I was comfortable with, but simple non-automated roller blinds can be expensive, especially when they're larger than 6 ft x 6 ft.   This is disappointing, as a roller blind is just a tube with a small amount of synthetic cloth but can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Plus, since I wanted a smarthome blind, we're talking $500 or more from the "service oriented shops". I'm a tech guy.  I think can do better. After thinking about DIY and creative solutions, I decided to try out the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade (MBU) kit.  This kit transforms an ordinary roller blind into a smart blind.  The MotionBlinds mechanism is basically consists of a small motor and battery in a long metal tube.  This motor tube slides into a roller blind ...

Transitioning to Comcast Now!

I've transitioned to Comcast NOW, a lower speed, lower cost alternative.  The kids have grown up and moved out.  I'm spending much more of my time traveling.  I don't need the high speeds at home like I used to. This transition promises to save me $240 dollars a year versus my old "discounted" plan. Xfinity to Comcast Now transitioning process I went to the Xfinity store and told them I was cancelling two weeks out.  This isn't weird - people move all the time, so they do have a process for cancelling at a future ("move-out") date. Later the same day, I was able to go to the Comcast website and order the NOW modem for the new service. Note that Comcast didn't let me do this until I had a future cancel order in place.  Three days later, the modem arrived via FedEx. The cancel date came and went - Xfinity seems to have a grace period, so the old modem wasn't unceremoniously yanked out of service at midnight.  This made the transition smooth.  ...

Fix a bad MacBook trackpad

The Problem: A Poorly-Behaving Trackpad Button MacBook trackpads buttons are going bad. Happily, there is a quick and technically-simple fix that may work for many MacBook owners with a misbehaving trackpad. A few months ago I started to notice that my trackpad was operating in a funky manner. The trackpad button had lost its solid click and turned mushy. As I typed the trackpad button would mistakenly register clicks, and the cursor would jump all over the place; The cursor would jump around and my words would end up jumbled. Or a button press wouldn't register at all, and I'd end up trying to smash down of the button with no response. It was the worst experience I’ve ever had with a keyboard and mouse. I tried every technique I could find on the web to try to fix my bad trackpad button – from sliding paper through the gap around button, to MacBook disassembly and vacuuming everything. Nothing made it better. My MacBook was fairly unusable, and getting worse. Af...

Other Posts

Show more