Skip to main content

The Proof: Poor USB cables slow phone charging by 77%

Inexpensive cellphone charging cables, commonly sold online, at drug stores, and at discount stores can exhibit poor phone charging speed. Some times the charging performance is so poor that people think their phone has gone bad. Here, I'll show how cheap cable construction can compromise charging performance.

Verifying Cable Quality

The following experiment is designed to show how bad cables ruin charging speeds. I will be measuring various USB extension cables to experimentally show how poor cable construction can have a significant negative impact on smart phone charging rates.

In order to standardize the experiment and eliminate variables, I will be using a genuine Apple "1 Amp" USB charger along with a genuine Apple USB lightning cable. These components were delivered new by Apple with my iPhone 11, so I know they are "legitimate" (not clones or counterfeits). They are name brand components sold by a reliable retailer.

But I'm not here to test these well-known cables. Instead I am testing general purpose USB extension cables in order to show how a  poor cable can negatively impact charging rates.

Two Experiments

  • Experiment 1 will report the power delivered by the standard charging setup, without any USB extension cable in the system.
  • Experiment 2 will report the power delivered by the standard charging setup, but with a USB extension cable in the system.

Will a simple USB extension cord added to the charging setup change the amount of power delivered?  Many people might conclude that there will be negligible difference between the above charging setups.

To figure this out, we will look at a sample of the energy delivered (Watts) through the power meter. Watts is calculated my multiplying amperage times voltage. 

Data Collection

Experiment 1 is simply measuring the power being delivered to my iPhone 11 through the Apple-provided AC adapter and cable. As you can see in Photo 1, this test shows the charging system delivering 0.96 Amps at 4.90 Volts. This seems reasonable given the specifications of the charger (1 Amp at 5 VDC).

Experiment 1 data: 0.96A x 4.90v = 4.704 Watts

Photo 1: The baseline test delivers 4.704 watts

 

Experiment 2 has the exact same setup, except that a USB extension cable has been inserted between the Apple AC power adapter and the power meter. All other aspects of the experiment are identical. As you can see in Photo 2, this test shows the system delivering a mere 0.26 Amps at 4.08 Volts.

Experiment 2 data: 0.26A x 4.08v = 1.061 Watts

Photo 2: with the cheap USB cord in the circuit, 77% less energy is provided

 

Results and Analysis

Experiment 1, without USB Extension..: 4.704 Watts Delivered
Experiment 2, with the USB Extension.: 1.061 Watts Delivered

The results from this simple test show that there is a 77% reduction in energy delivered if the USB extension cable is in the charging path.

One explanation for this is that the USB extension cable is poorly constructed. Thin conductors would make the cable notably less expensive to manufacturer, but would result in higher electrical resistance. 

In particular, the short USB extension cable adds 10.5Ω of resistance to the charging circuit.  A well-constructed short USB cable would have a resistance of less than 1Ω.

Ultimately, this results in very slow charging times.

Other low-end USB cables, including cables with microUSB and lightning connectors, may also be constructed with low-quality conductors, leading to charging times that are much lower than expected.

Conclusion

It is impossible to say how good a cable is without directly measuring its qualities. However, shorter, thicker, stiffer cables are probably better in terms of charging speed. Thinner, longer, or highly flexible cables are far more likely to be lousy cables.

Only buy legitimate brand-name cables from a truly reputable source. Otherwise, you might be buying high-resistance cables that are not able to charge your phone as quickly as it drains. 

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Installing a CarPlay radio in a Honda CRV

I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV and decided to replace the stock radio/CD player with an upgraded unit.  This was far easier and cheaper than I imagined, but the hardest part was selecting a unit to buy  This article covers how I made my choice.   The basic form factor for my CRV head unit Selecting a Unit The Car I have a 2013 CR/V, which is the same series of all of the CR/Vs from model year 2012 through 2016. Therefore it was important to find a radio unit that fits this model. The CRV has steering wheel radio controls, and I wanted to use them.  This uses a technology called CAN-Bus, which is kind of like USB for cars.  Therefore, a CAN-Bus capability would be able to leverage all these steering wheel features.  In addition, the CRV has a backup camera that would be nice to tie into. And of course I wanted to leverage the existing speakers and USB port. Form Factor I wanted a unit that had a big display, and I wanted a unit that was easy to purchas...

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

MacBook: burnt out magsafe connector repair

My MacBook (A1342 model from 2009-2010) stopped working, thanks to a cheap knockoff magsafe charger. The magsafe connector looked burnt with heat-distorted melted plastic and some black carbon surfaces.  Plugging in the charger resulted in no lights and no action.  My MacBook was dead. First I tried to clean up the connector with some Q-Tips, tooth picks and solvent, but that did little, as seen in this "after" picture (below).   The heat generated by the aftermarket charger permanently deformed and distorted the MacBook's magsafe connector.  Clearly the damage was significant. Burnt Magsafe Connector - Replacement Required! Looking at iFixIt , I determined that it would not be difficult to replace only the magsafe connector with the right tools.  I hoped and prayed that the problem was isolated to the connector assembly and not the logic board. I bought a replacement magsafe connector assembly (available from Amazon) for under $20 and started to rep...

Other Posts

Show more