I'm fine with people selling products. I'm fine with people over-paying for a product because that product is great, convenient, or well-supported.
Unfortunately, the majority of corporations ask their salespeople to sell product using lies, distortion, and manipulation. It's bullshit, it's wrong, and I'm gonna stop it.
I hear it all the time:
- Auto Repair Industry: Your brakes are down to 2 mm, so driving could be dangerous. We can't be responsible. (Using Fear)
- Mobile Telephone Industry: You should get a bigger mobile data plan because you use more than simple email. (Using Fake Advice)
- Cable TV Industry: If you sign up for Cable TV, Internet, and Telephone, your monthly bill will actually be a little lower than if you just signed up for two of them. (Using a Fake Bargain)
- Electronics Retailer: The $30 gold plated HDMI cable will give you a better picture then the $5 HDMI cable, (Touting Fake Quality)
"Oh, we don't KNOW what people need and want!" Bullshit.
These salesmen never EVER provide quality service or advice. They never say:
- "You have 2mm of good brake pad left. They are 100% safe. You should get your pads replaced after your brakes start to squeal, as that's the indicator of needing your pads replaced".
- "You likely only need a 2 GB data plan; the unlimited plan may be a total waste".
- "This Triple-play package will lock you into a multi-year contract that will likely cost you".
- "Get the $5 HDMI cable. It's digital. The picture will be identical to what you'll see with the $30 cable".