Skip to main content

Is there BS behind the Puma chipset latency story?

I frequently read about how Puma-based DOCSIS modems have severe latency problems.  Back in 2016, a user on DSL Reports who states that he is an "EE" that "designs electronics" did an analysis and claimed that he found very frequent and repeatable ~250 ms latency spikes due to his modem's Puma chipset.  (It is important to note that this person did not claim to have any professional or academic credentials in networking.)

The data he published - a repeatable and consistent 250 ms latency - seems so bizarre that I found it almost impossible to fathom that his findings were typical behavior, or that ISPs would certify such poorly behaving modems. Later in 2016, an article was published that amplified his claims and his story took off as "the experience of everyone with a Puma-based modem".

By April 2017, another article was published in The Register stating that someone was pursuing a class action lawsuit against Arris related to Puma-based modems. [The way I read it, Arris won the essentials of the lawsuit.]

By August 2018, The Register reported that a fix was released, but the documents cited by the "bug fix" article don't appear to mention a latency issue, but instead a DoS vulnerability. It is unclear how the article's author concluded that the released bug fix was associated with the Puma latency claim.

Now, years later, the "Puma latency claim" is still paraded around as a truth.  But is it true? Has anyone taken the time to validate the claim?

I can't repeat it.

"Trust, but verify" is an often repeated proverb.  Sadly, many people trust, and many fewer verify.

Since I have a bunch of modems under my control that are Puma-based, specifically Arris SB6190s, I decided to instrument them.  I performed a latency test for months on active Internet connections to remote servers through these Puma-based modems.

My Puma modem shows very low latency, wildly different than the 2016 claim

I didn't find any latency issues that look anything even remotely close to resembling the claims of the original forum post. Instead, I see very consistent pings between 10 and 23 ms, with an average around 11.5 ms.  And this is over an actively used Internet connection from my home LAN client to my ISP's remote infrastructure.

Conclusion: Puma is good.

Although the original claim states that Puma chipset latency and loss problems are extraordinarily evident, my deep analysis shows.... nothing. Since I cannot repeat any of the findings of the original forum poster's claim, I must conclude that the Puma issue does not exist.  Perhaps the original claimant's results were due to infrastructure issues at his ISP, data collection issues, a client issue, a specific hardware failure, a DoS, a saturated network connection, or something else.  But whatever it was, after deep analysis into the claim, it cannot be repeated on any of my Puma configurations of today.

So instead of the original claim, I have a updated claim: Puma: impressively low latency performance.


Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

MacBook: burnt out magsafe connector repair

My MacBook (A1342 model from 2009-2010) stopped working, thanks to a cheap knockoff magsafe charger. The magsafe connector looked burnt with heat-distorted melted plastic and some black carbon surfaces.  Plugging in the charger resulted in no lights and no action.  My MacBook was dead. First I tried to clean up the connector with some Q-Tips, tooth picks and solvent, but that did little, as seen in this "after" picture (below).   The heat generated by the aftermarket charger permanently deformed and distorted the MacBook's magsafe connector.  Clearly the damage was significant. Burnt Magsafe Connector - Replacement Required! Looking at iFixIt , I determined that it would not be difficult to replace only the magsafe connector with the right tools.  I hoped and prayed that the problem was isolated to the connector assembly and not the logic board. I bought a replacement magsafe connector assembly (available from Amazon) for under $20 and started to rep...

Installing a CarPlay radio in a Honda CRV

I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV and decided to replace the stock radio/CD player with an upgraded unit.  This was far easier and cheaper than I imagined, but the hardest part was selecting a unit to buy  This article covers how I made my choice.   The basic form factor for my CRV head unit Selecting a Unit The Car I have a 2013 CR/V, which is the same series of all of the CR/Vs from model year 2012 through 2016. Therefore it was important to find a radio unit that fits this model. The CRV has steering wheel radio controls, and I wanted to use them.  This uses a technology called CAN-Bus, which is kind of like USB for cars.  Therefore, a CAN-Bus capability would be able to leverage all these steering wheel features.  In addition, the CRV has a backup camera that would be nice to tie into. And of course I wanted to leverage the existing speakers and USB port. Form Factor I wanted a unit that had a big display, and I wanted a unit that was easy to purchas...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Other Posts

Show more