Skip to main content

When is the best time to do laundry? Some thoughts.

I like the think about the details of things.  So my question is: when is the best time to do laundry?  My conclusion is that it depends on the weather, the time of day, and the day of the week.  Here I will tell you the variables I consider when doing laundry (or running the dishwasher, etc etc).

Laundry Clothes Washer

Energy Use and the Time of Day

If you're going to use electricity from the grid, it is always best to consume when the grid is powered by the most efficient power plants. Generally speaking, grid electricity is most efficiently produced when the grid is at low load.  That's the time when the most efficient base load power plants are supplying most of the grid's power, and the power from less efficient variable-load power plants are minimized. 

So the first answer of when to do laundry is "when fossil fuel power plants aren't being over-worked".  This means moderate temperature nights and weekends, or on moderate sunny days when solar power generation is greatly displacing fossil fuel power generation.

Drying Laundry

Clothes dryers are far more efficient when the ambient air has low humidity.  Since (most) clothes dryers  blow humid waste air outside, they in turn induce outside air to enter the building.  Therefore, it is best to run a clothes dryer on low humidity days with moderate outdoor temperatures.

Water Issues

Clothes washers generate wastewater, and clearly there are times when you want to minimize overworked wastewater treatment facilities. Waste water is likely most efficiently processed when there isn't a huge load on the sewage treatment plant. Therefore, I avoid doing laundry if it has been exceptionally rainy, as often times the rain inundates the sewage treatment plant. I don't need to add more wastewater to the sewer system when it is over-capacity.

Detergents

Minimizing detergent is also important, as it is both expensive and always ends up as a pollutant pushed down the drain to be processed at a sewerage treatment plant. 

  • Say "no" to packets or sheets.  They are stupidly inefficient, expensive, and don't clean as well as traditional liquid detergent.
  • Say "no" to claims of "green organic" soap products.  That's mere marketing dribble.  Secondly, they have been shown to be ineffective as detergents.  Ineffective products simply turn into zero-value pollutants.

I always use a quality name-brand liquid detergent, and I use the minimum quantity required to get the job done perfectly.

I always wash in cold water, as hot water is a pollutant, and it provides no benefit when using a decent detergent.

Putting that all together

  • I generally do laundry weekends, when grid power is running at its highest efficiency.  That means, nights, weekends, or on sunny moderate days when solar power generation greatly displaces fossil fuel powered plants.
  • I generally avoid laundry on very hot, very cold, or very wet days, as this just adds more load to the grid, to over-worked HVAC systems , and to the wastewater system.
  • I wash using effective detergent in cold water.

Of course I make exceptions, because sometimes I can't get all the stars to align.  But if I can reasonably change my schedule to conform to the above principles, then I will.

If a large subset of people acted just slightly more thoughtfully, there would be substantial savings.


Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

Installing a CarPlay radio in a Honda CRV

I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV and decided to replace the stock radio/CD player with an upgraded unit.  This was far easier and cheaper than I imagined, but the hardest part was selecting a unit to buy  This article covers how I made my choice.   The basic form factor for my CRV head unit Selecting a Unit The Car I have a 2013 CR/V, which is the same series of all of the CR/Vs from model year 2012 through 2016. Therefore it was important to find a radio unit that fits this model. The CRV has steering wheel radio controls, and I wanted to use them.  This uses a technology called CAN-Bus, which is kind of like USB for cars.  Therefore, a CAN-Bus capability would be able to leverage all these steering wheel features.  In addition, the CRV has a backup camera that would be nice to tie into. And of course I wanted to leverage the existing speakers and USB port. Form Factor I wanted a unit that had a big display, and I wanted a unit that was easy to purchas...

MacBook: burnt out magsafe connector repair

My MacBook (A1342 model from 2009-2010) stopped working, thanks to a cheap knockoff magsafe charger. The magsafe connector looked burnt with heat-distorted melted plastic and some black carbon surfaces.  Plugging in the charger resulted in no lights and no action.  My MacBook was dead. First I tried to clean up the connector with some Q-Tips, tooth picks and solvent, but that did little, as seen in this "after" picture (below).   The heat generated by the aftermarket charger permanently deformed and distorted the MacBook's magsafe connector.  Clearly the damage was significant. Burnt Magsafe Connector - Replacement Required! Looking at iFixIt , I determined that it would not be difficult to replace only the magsafe connector with the right tools.  I hoped and prayed that the problem was isolated to the connector assembly and not the logic board. I bought a replacement magsafe connector assembly (available from Amazon) for under $20 and started to rep...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Other Posts

Show more