Skip to main content

Robust Installation of an HDHomeRun Networked TV Tuner. 64 OTA channels!

I added an HDHomerun (HDHR) over-the-air (OTA) streaming box to my home network, bringing over-the-air broadcast TV to my computers, phones and tablets. 

The HDHR is a big upgrade from my previous setup: using a simple "window mount" antenna directly connected to my TV. A TV-attached antenna is good for watching some TV for free, but the HDHR offers so much more flexibility.

Figure 0: HDHomeRun on my basement wall

 

My original OTA TV setup was haphazard at best. It was finicky, ugly, and hard for other people at home to use. I would actually tape my antenna to a window whenever I wanted to watch OTA TV. Plus, it only worked on my TV and not with my other devices. I wanted a cleaner and more modern OTA setup.

After looking at possibilities, I developed two goals: (1) bring my OTA TV into the modern Internet-connected era, and (2) set it up in a reliable and pretty way so that other family members wouldn't have to fool around with the antenna or anything else. 

With that, I decided to try an HDHomeRun streaming TV box. The HDHomeRun is a simple electronic box with two HDTV tuners inside. It has a connection for a TV Antenna and a connection for an Ethernet network. By using its web interface or its apps, it is possible for devices on the network to watch OTA TV channels. Since there are two tuners, it is possible to watch two different channels simultaneously. In a household with more TV needs, a four-tuner model is available. Using other services, I could add capabilities like a DVR.

I could pursue my reliability and ease-of-use goal without an HDHR. So if you want decent and reliable OTA TV, HDHR-type equipment is not required.

Experimental Configuration

I wanted to make sure that my HDHR would be working at a level that I would find acceptable before installing things "permanently". Therefore, I first planned to experiment with different configurations in hopes of finding a near-optimal setup for me. The short summary is that it was cheaper, easier, and better than I expected.

My dream was to have the HDHR in my basement, next to all my home network gear, and to have an attic antenna to draw in all of my important local broadcast channels. Since I had an idle cable TV cable running from the basement to my attic, I thought I could reuse the cable as my antenna feed.

First, I brought my HDHR into the basement and plugged it into my network gear. I did a scan for TV channels on the HDHR. Given that no antenna was hooked up, I expected to get nothing, because TV reception generally requires a TV signal. I was right. It received no channels, because I had no antenna and I was in the basement. No surprise.

Next I attached the cable running from my attic to my HDHR's antenna jack. The cable from the attic had nothing attached to it at the other end, so I didn't expect much either. After another channel scan, the HDHR did register one channel, but it was unviewable. Again, this was not a surprise - an antenna cable without an antenna attached isn't going to give good results. But it did let me know that the HDHR was picking up something.

I scurried up to the attic and attached a "flimsy" $15 plastic sheet antenna like this one from Amazon that I had laying around the house. It isn't the best antenna, but I knew it could draw in some channels because I used it at my old house. Since this was still an "experimental" configuration, I haphazardly propped the antenna and did a channel rescan on the HDHR. Success! I got 60 channels even with the flimsy antenna!

The video produced by this sloppy set-up was of excellent quality. But there's more. In my TV market I have a very important station that transmits on "Low VHF". Any OTA TV expert will tell you that receiving VHF signals can be a huge challenge. VHF reception normally requires a less common VHF antenna, and low-VHF reception requires a large and uncommon "low VHF" antenna. But for me? No problem! I guess I'm close enough to draw in a good low VHF signal despite the fact that my cheap antenna is designed for UHF only. WIN! BIG WIN!

Since my cheap antenna was picking up all the important channels in my market (and more), this experimental configuration helped me determine that a better antenna would be a complete waste of my money. I'm sticking with my $15 Amazon special.

Since I already had a signal distribution amplifier in my basement, I decided it to give it a try to see if it could improve the already excellent signal quality. Nothing improved, so I just kept it simple: Cheap Antenna to Coax Cable to HDHomerun to Network, with nothing else in the mix. 

Now, with my experiments complete, I could work to install everything in a permanent way.


An Attic Antenna connects to the HDHR in the basement via an RG-6 cable.
Fig 1: My final HDHR configuration: Simple!

Installation

My installation goals are usually very simple: set up my gear in a neat, reliable, and understandable way, and then fasten things in place so things stay neat forever.

I have a backboard in my basement where all my network gear lives, so my goal was to mount the HDHR on the same board as my modem, router, switch, and other equipment.

The HDHR doesn't have mounting points of any kind, but there is still a great way to mount equipment without mounting tabs. I screwed down three well-placed nylon tie clips, and then I used a long zip tie and a zip tie "head" to fasten the HDHR on the board. The third clip is used to keep the HDHR from sliding down. This turned out to be a robust and reliable mounting solution. The only shortcoming with this approach is that I will need to remove a screw or cut the zip tie if I want to remove the HDHR. That's not a big deal.

I mounted the HDHR "sideways" to minimize the chance of the HDHR's power cable falling out of place.

 

Figure 2: HDHR is easily mounted to with a zip tie.

 

I used a short, 1 foot long patch cable to connect the HDHR to my nearby network switch. I also gently looped in my antenna feed into the HDHR.

The Antenna

In the attic, I routed the cheap antenna's cable neatly, keeping the cable off the attic floor. Then I mounted the antenna as high as I could, I did a channel scan, and now it pulls in channels that I had no idea even existed, 64 channels in all. Doing some research, I concluded that it could be possible to draw in a dozen or more other more distant channels, but since I don't care about those channels I'm not going to spend any more money to get them.

Positioning the antenna is not the most fun job for me. It's hard to move around and spend time in my tight attic. One day when I feel like spending time up there I will try to find the best position for my antenna.

Summary of Equipment Used For My Configuration

  • HDHomeRun, two-tuner model, about $65 to $100 depending on "new" or "used".
  • Cheap Amazon Indoor TV Antenna, already owned, about $7 to $20.
  • Zip Ties, already owned, about $12 for a large pack.
  • Zip Tie clips, already owned, about $3 for a large pack.
  • Ethernet Patch Cable, already owned, about $3.
  • Coax Cable (RG-6) for Attic antenna feed, already owned, cost depends on length
  • Network gear, already owned, cost depends on your needs
  • Miscellaneous Screws and Fasteners

Since I already had a lot of the stuff I needed laying around my house, the total out-of-pocket expense for my configuration was only $70, for a used HDHR.

HDHR Energy Use

My Kill-A-Watt power meter suggests that my HDHR uses about 2.0 watts or power when in active use, and about 1.36 Watts when idle. While both tuners are in use it is possible to get the HDHR to consume about 2.6 watts of power. This new power use is fully offset by my disconnection of my home's cable distribution amplifier, which consumed roughly 7 Watts of power 24x365.

Other scenarios I considered

I thought about placing my HDHR in the attic and powering it using PoE. In this scenario, I'd put the HDHR in the attic next to my antenna, and since I don't have any power outlets in the attic I'd use PoE to power the HDHR. The HDHR doesn't natively support PoE, but there is a great solution: I'd simply use an inexpensive 5v PoE splitter to supply 5v power to the HDHR, with an associated PoE injector or switch in the basement.

One other thing to consider: attic temperatures. See my posting about the limitations of installing electronic equipment in an attic.

HDHR Limitations that Did Not Impact Me

The HDHR does not have WiFi capabilities. That's fine for my set-up, because I prefer the performance and reliability of Ethernet. Since an antenna feed and networking gear are often adjacent to one another, Ethernet is usually the best networking solution. If I were in a different position where wired networking was unreasonable, then I would end up using an Ethernet to WiFi bridge (using something like my favorite GL.iNet Mango). Alternatively, I'd buy a WiFi capable OTA tuner like the Tablo instead of the HDHR.

I'm not totally into TV, so I didn't want to spend more money for crazy DVR capabilities. For people that are really into TV, they might want some local USB-attached storage for a bounty of DVR recordings. The HDHR doesn't have a USB port, but the Tablo does. Then it becomes easy to add an external USB hard drive, maybe like my favorite 4TB WD Elements drive.

Conclusion

Before buying the HDHR, I had grand ideas of a complicated setup, buying a big attic antenna and placing the HDHR in the attic and powering it with a PoE adapter. Instead it turned out that my initial "simple solution", using my existing equipment and cabling and even antenna, accomplished all my goals. The result is an inexpensive but modern OTA TV environment.

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release the right

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a simple circuit boar

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu

Sodastream Carbonator Leakage, Usage, and Weight

SodaStream 60L "Carbonator" CO2 cylinders have a specific weight when empty, plus about 410 or so grams for the CO2 they should have when they're "full".  A little while ago I went to buy a replacement Carbonator from my local hardware store. The dealer pulled a new Carbonator out of the box and sensed it was lighter than usual.  He put the "light" Carbonator in the "empty" pile and sold me a different one.  At that moment I concluded that it would be smart of me to weigh both new and empty SodaStream carbonators.  Here are the results. Weighing a SodaStream Carbonator - for both Science and Consumer Protection.       The dealer told me that sometimes the carbonators leak after they leave the SodaStream filling facility.  That means there could be an opportunity for customers like me to get ripped off! The SodaStream cylinders I buy claim to have a net product weight of 410 grams - and that means that a full Soda Stream Carbonator shou

Adding a Water Flood Sensor to my Vista-20p alarm system

My Honeywell Vista 20p alarm system is fairly comprehensive, but I want one more feature: an alarm that lets me know when my sump pump isn't working properly. Here is how I added one for about $8 in special parts.   I'm afraid of a flood in my finished basement. I'm fortunate - my basement sump pump system is already redundant, with two independent pumps and two outflow pipes. The primary pump kicks in when the water level reaches 6 inches, and if that doesn't work, then the backup pump kicks in when the water level reaches 7 inches.  The backup pump should never kick in unless the primary pump is having a problem pumping.   But there is a problem with this setup: I might never know if my primary pump has failed, leaving me with no redundancy.  I want to be informed when I have one (or god forbid, two) pump failures. My goal is to have my Vista 20p alert me when the sump's water level is ever beyond the point where my primary pump should have kicked in, alerting me

Living Next to a Freeway

I've been living next to the interstate highway for the past couple years. And I mean right next to it. My house is 105 feet away from a major six lane freeway, and my property abuts it. I can see vehicles pass by from my living room. Let me tell you what that's like to live next to the freeway, and what to look for if you are considering moving near a major traffic artery. Home Construction First of all, a little background. The home I live in was designed and built in 2000 with the freeway in mind, and so road noise was taken into consideration when it was built.  The Interstate was planned in the 1950's and built in the early 1960s. Therefore, most of the windows in my house face away from the highway, and the bedrooms are the rooms furthest away from the road. The side of the house closest to the road consists of bathrooms and a stairwell. These internal rooms help absorb some of the noise that would otherwise enter the house. Given the building's urban setting, th

Other Posts

Show more