Skip to main content

Using GL.iNet WiFi Router to Link Networks Together

I have been happily buying and installing GL.iNet routers for a several years now, so I guess I should document why I like them so much.

I mostly use GL.iNet routers to wirelessly bridge networks together.  They are highly configurable, programmable, reliable, and affordable.

Figure 1: Using an MT300N to bridge two distinct networks together

How I got started with GL.Inet routers.

Prior to my GL.iNet purchases, I was buying inexpensive routers from Netgear and Trendnet that could support DD-WRT.  DD-WRT is cool because it can amp up basic WiFi router hardware with a  reasonably capable operating system on top.  Sadly, DD-WRT isn't always a dream to work with.  I found myself wasting a lot of time with DD-WRT.

While planning out the networking for my new home office, I stumbled on the GL.iNet router series and figured it'd be good to give one a try.  After all, they're extraordinarily inexpensive.

Now, 4+ years later, I can say that it was a great choice. Now I spend very little time administering my network because it works great.  I just do the typical firmware updates on an infrequent basis.

A short summary of the GL.iNet routers I've purchased

I have been buying the (roughly) $20 models.  They only have 2.4 GHz radios, but that's all I need for my use.

Their Benefits:
  • Very low power
  • Easy to administrate
  • Very reliable
  • OpenWRT is pre-installed
  • Easy to install your own software on the router
  • Reasonable performance for the money
  • Very compact
  • Very low cost
Their Limitations:
  • No 5 GHz radio (I don't need 5 GHz for my use)
  • Need a cell phone charger to power it (I have many, so this doesn't bother me)

Details of my Configurations

I have bought a few different models.  Some of these models are no longer available, and their prices may have changed since I purchased, but here's the list:
  • AR300M-Lite
  • MT300Nv2
  • AR150
  • MT300N
NOTE: It is my belief that all of these devices have the same basic capabilities and configurability.  If I were going to buy another today, I'd very likely buy the least expensive model.

The AR300M ($18) - Bridging my Home and Home Office networks

 
I use the AR300M as my home office network router device.  My main house has a good router, but my home office is in a building directly behind my house.  I use the AR300M as a wireless client to my main home router.  Then I have my office router plugged in to the AR300M with Ethernet.  This configuration avoids the duplicative use of any one WiFi channel.
AR300M Network
Using an AR300M to create a distinct Home Office network

I run typical services on the AR300M (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc). My Office Router simply serves as a simple WiFi access point and ethernet switch.

This setup has been very effective for me.  The AR300M is positioned to get a great signal from the main house router.  Additionally, the AR300M is configured to provide my home office with a distinct IP network.


The MT300Nv2 ($20)

I use the MT300Nv2 as a utility WiFi repeater bridge.  I have this router connect as a WiFi client to any local WiFi access point.   Then other devices can connect to it.  It's great at hotels, starbucks, or whatever.  It is shockingly easy to configure it to act as this kind of gateway.

MT300N
Using the MT300N as a Utility Router / Repeater Bridge
I have configured the ethernet ports to be part of the local network.  This way I can use the MT300N to "add" WiFi to my non-WiFi gear, such as my old ethernet-only tv.

I sometimes power this with a typical USB power bank. Again, it is very reliable.

This setup is a little simpler than what I use for my home office.  Simplicity is good, but I lose maybe 50% of my performance due to the fact that the same WiFi channel talks to both my client devices and to the local WiFi router.


My Retired GL.iNet Routers:

The AR150-Ext ($26)

I had the AR150 variant with the external antenna.  I don't think the external antenna really gave it any more reach than the default antenna.  I mistakenly broke the router by crushing it with my car(!).  I replaced it with the MT300Nv2

The MT300N ($20)

This was my first GL.iNet product.  It served me well for a few years, but then I bought the AR300M for my brother.  He ended up not needing it, so I kept the AR300M and sold my old one on Craigslist.

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Repairing a Crate TX15 Taxi amplifier battery

A friend gave me a Crate battery guitar amp that he used for busking. It is a nice 15 watt amp with an internal battery. Sadly it died, and its custom power adapter was misplaced. After several years the battery will fail, and it requires a functioning battery to work at all. Happily, new batteries are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to install. Obtaining a replacement battery for the TX15 The original battery was a 4+ pound, sealed lead battery. Any replacement battery should closely follow the specs of the original. I bought this MightyMax Battery on Amazon , which is a perfect replacement. There are many batteries that conform to the needs of the TX15, and they can be found at local hardware stores as they are commonly used in lots of equipment. It pays to look locally if you need something faster than Amazon.  The battery specs are as follows: 12 Volt, 7.2 Ah lead battery (mine was marked 1272). Length: 5.94" (151 mm)  Width: 2.56" (65 mm) Height: 3.94" (100...

Installing the Eve Smart MotionBlind Upgrade with my Large Roller Shade

I have a large window in the front of my house and a roller shade was just the right window treatment for it.  But I also wanted to automate it. My MotionBlind Upgrade kit and my new roller shade I looked around to buy something that I was comfortable with, but simple non-automated roller blinds can be expensive, especially when they're larger than 6 ft x 6 ft.   This is disappointing, as a roller blind is just a tube with a small amount of synthetic cloth but can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Plus, since I wanted a smarthome blind, we're talking $500 or more from the "service oriented shops". I'm a tech guy.  I think can do better. After thinking about DIY and creative solutions, I decided to try out the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade (MBU) kit.  This kit transforms an ordinary roller blind into a smart blind.  The MotionBlinds mechanism is basically consists of a small motor and battery in a long metal tube.  This motor tube slides into a roller blind ...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Using a Garmin eTrex with a Macintosh or Linux

The Garmin eTrex series consists of decent, full featured handheld GPS units. The cheaper monochrome eTrex models have a basic RS-232 serial interface, and the color eTrex models sport USB connectivity. In this article I'll talk about my experience with connecting both USB and serial port versions of the eTrex series to my Mac and to my Linux-based PC. I personally use the Garmin Vista HCx GPS now, but the other Garmins in the eTrex series, including the inexpensive but well specified Garmin eTrex Venture should work the same way. Dealing with the eTrex Series with USB Most of the eTrex units with a color screen have a USB port on the back. Happily, this USB port uses a common USB connector, so it is easy to physically connect a USB eTrex to a Mac or a PC running Linux. The USB Port on an eTrex I have found two pieces of software perfect for use with a USB eTrex, without the need for special drivers: GPSBabel+ and Google Earth . The Mac version of the freeware program ...

Other Posts

Show more