Let's just cut to the chase, as evidence points to:
Friday, September 19th, 2014
Here is the evidence:
- Apple will want the iPhone 6 to be released out of the gate as boldly as possible - with iOS 8.
- Apple explicitly says that iOS 8 will not be available until Fall 2014.
- Apple will likely want to make the iPhone 6 readily available to all customers by the Christmas Shopping Season - mid-November. They'd want to eliminate any waiting lists by then.
- Recent prior releases of iPhones have been between September 20th and October 15th.
But wait, there's more! Over the past few years Apple has put their device on sale starting on a Friday.
So given that additional fact, I refine my prediction to include only the following dates:
- Friday, September 19th
- Friday, September 26th
- Friday, October 3rd
- Friday, October 10th
- Friday, October 17th
Of course, certain types of events could influence that date, including but not limited to:
- Component supply line issues
- Manufacturing issues
- Unexpected design issues
- iOS 8 availability/completion
- External factors (Geo-political issue, major natural disaster, etc)
There are a lot of iPhones to be made. Last year Apple sold 9 million iPhones on its first weekend. And so I assume that manufacturing is ramping up now, as to hit that mark starting today, Apple needs to make nearly a million iPhone 6's a week.
See you in line on September 19th!