Skip to main content

Creating an AC-free 5V, 12 V, 24 V DC UPS

I've had a traditional UPS powering my network rack for a few years now, but it isn't all that efficient because it sends DC battery power to an internal AC Inverter so that it can power gear, and that gear goes around and converts it back to DC.  It seems reasonable to skip this lossy process.  Here's how I did it.

Uninteruptable DC Power Supply Diagram

 

Backup Voltage and Power

My network's gear uses various voltages: 12 Volts, 24 Volts, and 5 Volts.  So my overall goal is to have three voltages available for my various devices.  Sadly, the computer UPS market doesn't seem to want to deliver any devices to satisfy these needs... at least nothing affordable.

But there is another huge industry that had this need, and that's the world of small business security.  And in particular, small apartment buildings that use electronic locks!  They don't want their buildings to be inaccessibly locked during a power outage, and so they use battery backups all the time.

This is when I decided to buy an Uninteruptable Power Supply box designed for door access control systems.   This little box delivers 12 Volts DC either through its built in AC power supply, or if that fails, through an internal rechargeable battery.  This is a great first step!  With this box and a proper battery I can get 12 volts DC with or without wall power.    Note that this box doesn't include a battery.  It requires a very common 12 volt, 7A SLA battery.  I had an old one laying around, so I took advantage of it.  A larger battery could be used outside of the housing, but I haven't had a need yet.

The Good:

  • Supplies 12 Volts at 5 Amps.  That's a lot of power.
  • Fast switching: if wall power is lost, battery power is delivered near immediately. If wall power is restored, the battery is switched off and wall power resumes.
  • Automatic recharging: the device automatically charges the internal battery. 

The bad, which I have addressed:

  • Only 12 volts!  I need 12, 24, and 5 volts.
  • Not regulated when on battery!  When powered from the wall it delivers an even 12 volts, but when the battery is switched in, the power supply delivers the battery voltage.  And the battery voltage migrates from 14 volts to as little as 9 volts as the battery goes from fully charged towards nearly empty. These variable voltages could be a problem.

Addressing The Limitations

In order to address these voltage limitations, I'm using a set of XL6009 buck/boost converters.  These very affordable converters can take the variable +14 to +9 VDC power and convert it into regulated 12, 24, and 5 volts DC power.  I can add new voltages if required. 

UPS Duration

I get about 2 hours of power through my weak, 10+ year old SLA battery, which is longer than what I was getting out of my old dual-battery UPS.  I suspect I can get about 8 hours out of a new battery, but I'm good for now.

Future Possibilities

The power box has numerous control features that could be used to detect the status of the power.  These features could be leveraged by an Arduino or Pi Pico.  I haven't implemented anything in this area yet, but it is on my radar.


Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Installing a CarPlay radio in a Honda CRV

I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV and decided to replace the stock radio/CD player with an upgraded unit.  This was far easier and cheaper than I imagined, but the hardest part was selecting a unit to buy  This article covers how I made my choice.   The basic form factor for my CRV head unit Selecting a Unit The Car I have a 2013 CR/V, which is the same series of all of the CR/Vs from model year 2012 through 2016. Therefore it was important to find a radio unit that fits this model. The CRV has steering wheel radio controls, and I wanted to use them.  This uses a technology called CAN-Bus, which is kind of like USB for cars.  Therefore, a CAN-Bus capability would be able to leverage all these steering wheel features.  In addition, the CRV has a backup camera that would be nice to tie into. And of course I wanted to leverage the existing speakers and USB port. Form Factor I wanted a unit that had a big display, and I wanted a unit that was easy to purchas...

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o...

MacBook: burnt out magsafe connector repair

My MacBook (A1342 model from 2009-2010) stopped working, thanks to a cheap knockoff magsafe charger. The magsafe connector looked burnt with heat-distorted melted plastic and some black carbon surfaces.  Plugging in the charger resulted in no lights and no action.  My MacBook was dead. First I tried to clean up the connector with some Q-Tips, tooth picks and solvent, but that did little, as seen in this "after" picture (below).   The heat generated by the aftermarket charger permanently deformed and distorted the MacBook's magsafe connector.  Clearly the damage was significant. Burnt Magsafe Connector - Replacement Required! Looking at iFixIt , I determined that it would not be difficult to replace only the magsafe connector with the right tools.  I hoped and prayed that the problem was isolated to the connector assembly and not the logic board. I bought a replacement magsafe connector assembly (available from Amazon) for under $20 and started to rep...

Other Posts

Show more