Skip to main content

Creating an AC-free 5V, 12 V, 24 V DC UPS

I've had a traditional UPS powering my network rack for a few years now, but it isn't all that efficient because it sends DC battery power to an internal AC Inverter so that it can power gear, and that gear goes around and converts it back to DC.  It seems reasonable to skip this lossy process.  Here's how I did it.

Uninteruptable DC Power Supply Diagram

 

Backup Voltage and Power

My network's gear uses various voltages: 12 Volts, 24 Volts, and 5 Volts.  So my overall goal is to have three voltages available for my various devices.  Sadly, the computer UPS market doesn't seem to want to deliver any devices to satisfy these needs... at least nothing affordable.

But there is another huge industry that had this need, and that's the world of small business security.  And in particular, small apartment buildings that use electronic locks!  They don't want their buildings to be inaccessibly locked during a power outage, and so they use battery backups all the time.

This is when I decided to buy an Uninteruptable Power Supply box designed for door access control systems.   This little box delivers 12 Volts DC either through its built in AC power supply, or if that fails, through an internal rechargeable battery.  This is a great first step!  With this box and a proper battery I can get 12 volts DC with or without wall power.    Note that this box doesn't include a battery.  It requires a very common 12 volt, 7A SLA battery.  I had an old one laying around, so I took advantage of it.  A larger battery could be used outside of the housing, but I haven't had a need yet.

The Good:

  • Supplies 12 Volts at 5 Amps.  That's a lot of power.
  • Fast switching: if wall power is lost, battery power is delivered near immediately. If wall power is restored, the battery is switched off and wall power resumes.
  • Automatic recharging: the device automatically charges the internal battery. 

The bad, which I have addressed:

  • Only 12 volts!  I need 12, 24, and 5 volts.
  • Not regulated when on battery!  When powered from the wall it delivers an even 12 volts, but when the battery is switched in, the power supply delivers the battery voltage.  And the battery voltage migrates from 14 volts to as little as 9 volts as the battery goes from fully charged towards nearly empty. These variable voltages could be a problem.

Addressing The Limitations

In order to address these voltage limitations, I'm using a set of XL6009 buck/boost converters.  These very affordable converters can take the variable +14 to +9 VDC power and convert it into regulated 12, 24, and 5 volts DC power.  I can add new voltages if required. 

UPS Duration

I get about 2 hours of power through my weak, 10+ year old SLA battery, which is longer than what I was getting out of my old dual-battery UPS.  I suspect I can get about 8 hours out of a new battery, but I'm good for now.

Future Possibilities

The power box has numerous control features that could be used to detect the status of the power.  These features could be leveraged by an Arduino or Pi Pico.  I haven't implemented anything in this area yet, but it is on my radar.


Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release the right

Sodastream Carbonator Leakage, Usage, and Weight

SodaStream 60L "Carbonator" CO2 cylinders have a specific weight when empty, plus about 410 or so grams for the CO2 they should have when they're "full".  A little while ago I went to buy a replacement Carbonator from my local hardware store. The dealer pulled a new Carbonator out of the box and sensed it was lighter than usual.  He put the "light" Carbonator in the "empty" pile and sold me a different one.  At that moment I concluded that it would be smart of me to weigh both new and empty SodaStream carbonators.  Here are the results. Weighing a SodaStream Carbonator - for both Science and Consumer Protection.       The dealer told me that sometimes the carbonators leak after they leave the SodaStream filling facility.  That means there could be an opportunity for customers like me to get ripped off! The SodaStream cylinders I buy claim to have a net product weight of 410 grams - and that means that a full Soda Stream Carbonator shou

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a simple circuit boar

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu

Macintosh: Upgrading an eMac

It's been a long time since I wrote this article, but the fact remains: The good old eMac can still be useful if you take the simple steps to keep it as good as it can be.  All can run Tiger, and most can run Leopard - great operating systems for their day with a bit of useful life.  This article describes the procedure I used to upgrade my old eMac, including: Replacing the internal hard disk with a large capacity drive. Increasing the memory for performance Upgrading the operating system Here I'm upgrading a 700 MHz eMac, but the procedure and tasks for upgrading other eMac models should be almost identical. Upgrading versus Replacing My sister's eMac is of the 700 mhz variety, with 256 MB of memory. The machine seemed to be getting "slower", and the original 40 GB disk was becoming jammed packed with photos and iTunes, and within a few months she'd be out of disk space. There were two options to address the problems: upgrade the eMac, or go o

Trendnet TEW-652BRP and DD-WRT Success!

I recently visited my dad while on a business trip when I coincidentally discovered that DD-WRT is now available for his TEW-652. The TEW-652BRP has been a great router for my father, but it isn't what I'd call "feature rich". An upgrade to DD-WRT is a big bonus. I live 2500 miles away from my non-technical father, and so a well-specified router that helps me manage his network remotely is important to both of us. This article will explain what I did to finally get DD-WRT working on my TEW-652BRP v1.0R. About the TEW-652brp It's a nice looking little black 802.11n, 2.5 GHz router. It was amazingly inexpensive (usually way under $30), and  the TEW-652brp is available through Amazon. Mine is a version 1.0R, you'll likely want the same version. Out of the box, it works quite well - it has been stable, and I was fairly happy with the stock firmware. But it was short on features - I like having VPN, SSH, and flexible DHCP services on the home netwo

Other Posts

Show more