Skip to main content

Modernizing old house network wiring - Part 12 - PoE Power!

 I started to spend a bit more money and help things come together.

PoE Switch

I found a great deal and ended up buying a 10-port PoE switch.

First, before we get all excited, only 8 of the 10 ports support PoE.  Secondly, it is "only" a 10/100 switch, so no gigabit for me.  I'm OK with that.  The switch was under $60, and I can always upgrade later.

Laying out the Backboard

I started to mount items on my backboard, including the new switch.  It took me a long time to figure out where to put the equipment: I wanted enough room to lay it all out neatly and comfortably, but I also want  efficiency.

 I also want to be able to connect and disconnect items without a lot of effort.  And of course I want to be able to see status LEDs without resorting to mirrors or uncomfortable behaviors.

After much trial and error, I found out that the best starting approach is to place all terminating equipment based on the building cabling.  One reality of my baseboard is that Coax and Ethernet come from above the baseboard, and I made the choice that electric power will come from the bottom.  Everything lays out based on those building cables and how the cables can drape.

Coax and its Splitter

I started with the Coax, as Coax cables are heavy, stiff, and the most difficult to manipulate.  My bundle of Ethernet cables is far easier to shape and position.

Considering that coax cables are heavy and stiff, a fairly healthy radius is needed to ease them into position.  I have a rather large ~9 port powered coax signal splitter, and all building Coax cables terminate there.  I placed the Coax splitter at the top corner of the board in order to ensure that the building coax cables stay as much out of the way as possible.  I mounted the splitter so the ports point to the left - that way the cables can come in from the left side of the board, where there is useless space.

Ethernet and its Switch

After the Coax was in place, things started to fall into place.  Ethernet was next, and all my building cables were to plug into my new PoE switch.  I wanted to be able to see the status lights, and of course I wanted the cabling to be need and tidy.

My PoE switch has mounting holes that are designed to have the ports face up or down.  This doesn't work for me, because then I wouldn't be able to see the status lights easily.  So I mounted it so the ports face to the right, and then used a screw to captivate the switch onto its mounting screws.   As you can see, I have the building ethernet bundle coming down the center of the backboard and into the switch.  Given this, the ethernet and the coax do not impeed one another.  If I see a bigger switch, I can place a "taller" one in the same position, or I can mount a second one on the right.

Power

Power is easy, it goes on the bottom area of the board.  I am starting with a power strip, but I will likely replace it with a mountable UPS in the future.  I suspect that a small UPS will be needed, as I plan to minimize power draw of the equipment.

Other Stuff

Now that the fundamentals are on the board, I can start attaching other equipment.

Cable Modem.  This goes in the top corner, close to the Coax switch and close to the Ethernet switch.

Router.  No router yet, but this will be non-wireless.  It will go under the cable modem.

 

 

the top center, and power comes from the bottom.



Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release ...

Installing a CarPlay radio in a Honda CRV

I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV and decided to replace the stock radio/CD player with an upgraded unit.  This was far easier and cheaper than I imagined, but the hardest part was selecting a unit to buy  This article covers how I made my choice.   The basic form factor for my CRV head unit Selecting a Unit The Car I have a 2013 CR/V, which is the same series of all of the CR/Vs from model year 2012 through 2016. Therefore it was important to find a radio unit that fits this model. The CRV has steering wheel radio controls, and I wanted to use them.  This uses a technology called CAN-Bus, which is kind of like USB for cars.  Therefore, a CAN-Bus capability would be able to leverage all these steering wheel features.  In addition, the CRV has a backup camera that would be nice to tie into. And of course I wanted to leverage the existing speakers and USB port. Form Factor I wanted a unit that had a big display, and I wanted a unit that was easy to purchas...

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu...

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a...

Adding a Water Flood Sensor to my Vista-20p alarm system

My Honeywell Vista 20p alarm system is fairly comprehensive, but I want one more feature: an alarm that lets me know when my sump pump isn't working properly. Here is how I added one for about $8 in special parts.   I'm afraid of a flood in my finished basement. I'm fortunate - my basement sump pump system is already redundant, with two independent pumps and two outflow pipes. The primary pump kicks in when the water level reaches 6 inches, and if that doesn't work, then the backup pump kicks in when the water level reaches 7 inches.  The backup pump should never kick in unless the primary pump is having a problem pumping.   But there is a problem with this setup: I might never know if my primary pump has failed, leaving me with no redundancy.  I want to be informed when I have one (or god forbid, two) pump failures. My goal is to have my Vista 20p alert me when the sump's water level is ever beyond the point where my primary pump should have kicked in, alertin...

MacBook: burnt out magsafe connector repair

My MacBook (A1342 model from 2009-2010) stopped working, thanks to a cheap knockoff magsafe charger. The magsafe connector looked burnt with heat-distorted melted plastic and some black carbon surfaces.  Plugging in the charger resulted in no lights and no action.  My MacBook was dead. First I tried to clean up the connector with some Q-Tips, tooth picks and solvent, but that did little, as seen in this "after" picture (below).   The heat generated by the aftermarket charger permanently deformed and distorted the MacBook's magsafe connector.  Clearly the damage was significant. Burnt Magsafe Connector - Replacement Required! Looking at iFixIt , I determined that it would not be difficult to replace only the magsafe connector with the right tools.  I hoped and prayed that the problem was isolated to the connector assembly and not the logic board. I bought a replacement magsafe connector assembly (available from Amazon) for under $20 and started to rep...

Other Posts

Show more