Skip to main content

LanceJ's A1342 MacBook Advisor



I repair A1342 MacBooks, and so I know them quite well.  They can be wonderful machines, even in 2018.  Here is my advice for the diagnosis and repair of the A1342 series of machines.


Brief Overview

The A1342 is the only polycarbonate Unibody MacBook.  There are two revisions: late 2009, and mid-2010.  These revisions have interchangeable parts.   The only significant difference is the CPU clock speed.  The machine's general design (and performance) is very similar to the 2010 MacBook Pro. A1342 manufacturing was discontinued in early 2012.

No-Start / Totally Dead Machine

This is almost always due to liquid ingress through the keyboard.  Often times water will kill the keyboard, but everything else will be just fine.  The best way to check it out is to remove the back cover and try to start the machine by briefly shorting the jumper pads with a pair of steel tweezers.  When shorted for about 1 second, the fan should spin up and the machine should boot as normal.

The startup jumper pads vary by logic board version, but there are two small square solder pads near the keyboard connector.

Jumper Pads, used for starting without a working keyboard


Jumper Pads, on a later logic board

Unexpected sleeping

Do not stack two A1342 MacBooks on top of one another when in use - you'll cause them to go to sleep.  The sleep magnet on the lid will trigger the sensor on the other laptop.  The sleep sensor is located next to the headphone port.

Reliability issues / Crashing / Kernel Panics

Assuming it isn't software, crashing or poor reliability problems is very likely due to bad memory.

Note that these MacBooks only like PC3-1066 (aka 8500) memory.  If you have faster memory installed, you'll very likely have severe reliability problems.

Whenever changing or replacing RAM, I use a memtest86 boot USB stick to do a full memory test.  It takes about 3.5 hours to test 4 GB of RAM.  8 GB of RAM will take about 7 hours to test, and 2 GB of RAM will take about one hour and 45 minutes.  Note that some fraudulent vendors mis-label their RAM products, so just because it says "8500" doesn't mean it is.

Alternatively, you can use a "full test" through Apple Diagnostics (option-D at boot for 2010 models, or with boot media for 2009 models).  This is OK, but not as effective as Memtest86.
 

Keyboard Electronics

  • The power key is part of the keyboard. 
  • The keyboard is very sensitive to water ingress.
  • A water-damaged keyboard may detect no key presses, some key presses, or chaotic key press behavior.
  • If the keyboard is water damaged, or if the keyboard cable is damaged, the easiest repair (but not the only repair) is to replace the top case.
    • I have never been able to repair water-damaged keyboard electronics.
  • Other keyboard failure modes:
    • It is easy to mistakenly dislodge the keyboard cable when changing the battery.  If you have a no-start condition, or bizarre keyboard function, check the cable - maybe the cable is askew or has been dislodged.
    • The keyboard will not properly work without a working trackpad.  I'm not sure why.  If your keyboard seems weird, check the trackpad. 

Keyboard Keycaps

  • There were at least two different US keyboards made for these machines. They use different keycaps
  • Electronically and from the user's perspective, these US keyboards look identical.
  • The primary (important) difference between these two US keyboards is the keycap scissor attachment mechanism. 
    • The scissors, keycaps, and underlying key attachment deck are different. 
    • I call the two different keyboards "hook" and "hole", as that's the primary difference of how the scissors attach - via little metal hooks or little metal holes.
    • Replacement keycaps may not fit if you don't know the key attachment style you have and what keys/scissors you're buying.
  • I'm not sure when the change took place, or if it was due to different suppliers.
  • The arrow keys are not the same size as the function keys :-(
  • I don't know much about non-US keyboards, but obviously they use a different top case.

Keyboard Replacement while Retaining the Top Case

  • The A1342 keyboard electronics were not designed to be separated from the top case.  So it is a lot of work to replace the keyboard of a top case.  It is easiest to simply replace the entire top case assembly, which includes the keyboard electronics and the top case.
  • Some people do want to retain their top case but replace its keyboard.  I do not bother to do this unless the top case and the plastic keyboard backplate are in top-notch condition.
  • The keyboard can be removed from the top case by:
    • Removing the plastic keyboard backplate from the top case.  This involves carefully breaking the very strong epoxy bonds around the entire perimeter of plastic keyboard backplate.
    • Removing the keyboard by shearing off the 60 or so plastic posts that connect the keyboard with the top case.  This is easily done with a sharp x-acto blade.
  • Replacement A1342 keyboards are available.
    • A real A1342 keyboard is white, and has the power button cable that goes from the eject key to the right, and then up.  The holes on the keyboard deck are large enough for the plastic posts.
    • A fake A1342 keyboard has a power cable that goes up from the eject key, and then right.   Also, the holes on the keyboard deck are smaller, as they are sized for screws and not plastic mounting posts.
      • Note that these "fake" A1342 keyboards are actually 13" MacBook Pro keyboards with white keycaps.
      • I advise that one doesn't pay any premium for a fake A1342 keyboard.  Save some money and just get a black MBP keyboard instead.
    • The 13 inch MacBook Pro keyboard does fit, both electronically and physically.  These are generally much less expensive than keyboards sold specifically for the A1342.  My primary A1342 has a MBP keyboard.  Like the "fake A1342" keyboards:
      • The power button routing is different
      • The attachment holes are smaller
      • The A1342 does not support a backlight.
  • Since the A1342 uses a lot of epoxy and plastic to fasten the keyboard to the top case, a retrofit will have to recreate that.  But don't be too sloppy - misplaced epoxy can impede reassembly.

Scissor type A is attached by hooks
Scissor type B is attached by holes
Battery
  • Failing batteries that are beginning to swell should be removed immediately to prevent permanent damage to the top case, trackpad, or other components. 
  • It is easy to mistakenly dislodge, distort, or tear the keyboard cable when changing the battery. Take care.
  • Some aftermarket batteries have a very long power cord that impedes installation.  Sometimes theses "stupidly long" wires can be carefully pushed back into the battery housing.
  • If the keyboard or power button doesn't work after a battery change, check and/or reseat the keyboard cable.
  • Operating without a battery can impact performance.  I noticed this with High Sierra on a late-2009.   I speculate the same behavior exists on the mid-2010.

Trackpad

  • The keyboard will not work properly without a working trackpad installed.
  • An unreliable trackpad should be replaced.  I don't know why they sometimes go bad, perhaps water damage?

Logic Board

  • A late-2009 logic board will fit in a mid-2010 case, and vice-versa.
    • All the parts between a late 2009 and mid-2010 are interchangeable.  The only notable difference is the speed of the logic board.
  • Logic boards are most likely to be damaged via water ingress or connector damage (poor disassembly)
  • The fan is normally robust.  I have never seen a fan failure.
  • On a newly acquired A1342, I usually remove the logic board and remove all the dust and other junk that ends up in there.

DVD Drive

  • DVD drives almost always fail due to foreign matter being put in the slot.
  • Carefully opening the DVD drive (via tape and screws) and removing the debris almost always addresses a non-working DVD drive. 
  • I rarely see a DVD drive with a failure caused by something other than removable foreign matter.

Hard Drive

  • Almost any 2.5 inch SATA drive will fit into these Macs
  • Many of the drives supplied by the factory are 1.5Gb SATA I.  An upgrade to a 3.0 Gb SATA II drive will help with performance.  Note that the A1342 not have 6.0 Gb capability - installing a SATA III drive will normally result in SATA II performance.
  • A SATA II or III hard drive, or an SSD will greatly improve performance.
  • The drive cushioning mechanism changed over time, but it's a very minor change. 
  • APFS-partitioned disks will not boot in a machine that doesn't have modern firmware.  Instead, the "?"-Folder will appear.  Use a modern OS installer (High Sierra) to install the latest firmware.

Display

  • The display panel has no glass overlay, so scratches on the display are "permanent".
  • Opening the display's case to replace the LCD is a huge pain. 
    • Be very clean so you can "reuse" the adhesive
    • All that black tape around the LCD is to prevent backlight bleed.  It should be replaced.
  • The display panel is common with some similar-vintage 13 inch MacBook Pros.
  • Cracks in the plastic housing near the hinges are common.  I try to arrest these cracks with epoxy.
  • The external display port will not turn on until after the OS has booted.  Therefore, operating an A1342 without a working display will require a MacOS boot device.
    • Is there firmware way around this?  I feel there may be. 
  • It may (or may not) be reasonably possible to replace the white bezel with a MBP glass.  I want to research this.  Has anyone tried?

MagSafe Board

These rarely fail, but they can.  When they do fail, I think it is due to a knockoff charger sending lousy voltages to the Mac, resulting in a burning out the board, its contacts, and/or melting the top case.
  • First, make sure you're using a known-good 60 watt or 85 watt genuine MagSafe adapter.  
  • If that doesn't work, clean the A1342's MagSafe connector.
  • If that still doesn't work, the easy fix is to simply replace the MagSafe board, which requires removing the logic board.

Bottom Case

  • Yes, the rubber has been known to fail.
  • Apple no longer services this problem.
  • Reattaching the rubber is not a reasonable possibility
  • Alternatives involving removing the rubber from its aluminum backing:
    • stick some adhesive feet on the bottom aluminum
    • glue upholstery cloth to the bottom aluminum
    • apply a rubber paint to the bottom aluminum
  • Another more costly solution is to buy a new bottom case.
  • Not using the aluminum bottom is stupid and will result in logic board damage.

MacOS

  • It is possible to install and run High Sierra on A1342 machines with 2 GB of RAM, but it's really too little RAM to do anything of substance.  Therefore, I recommend at least 4 GB of RAM.
  • The High Sierra installer may induce a firmware update (for APFS boot)

Performance

Here are my standard steps for performance:
  • Ensure you have a battery installed.  A missing or defunct battery will negatively impact performance. 
  • Install 8 GB of 8500 RAM (2 x 4 GB).  However, 4 GB should be fine.
  • Install a name-brand SSD
  • Reset PRAM/NVRAM/SMC
  • Do a fresh OS install.  I use High Sierra
  • Enable TRIM in the OS

 Other

If you have any tips, suggestions, corrections, or clarifications, please comment and I'll add them here.

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, part 1: Disassembly Guide

I've had my SodaStream Jet for years, and once in a while something has gone wrong. Disassembly is the first step to repair.  Start with this article to see how to disassemble the SodaStream, and then once you have that down, scroll through my other articles to see how I repaired specfic SodaStream problems. SodaStream Jet Disassembly Guide Tools Required Flat head screwdriver Phillips head screwdriver 1. Remove the Carbonator.  Duh. 2. Remove the black panel lever The front big black tilt lever needs to be removed first. Removing this panel is tricky, but it isn't impossible. Looking up at the bottom of the black panel, there are two tabs, one on the left and one on the right. These tabs fully secure the panel in place. The trick is to use a flat-head screwdriver under the plastic to gently lever the tabs out of the way.  Note in the pictures how I approach these tabs with my screwdriver.  I usually release the left side first, and then I release the right

Fixing a SodaStream Jet, Repair #2 - Broken Fill Button

My Soda Stream Jet's fill button broke, which means I can not longer carbonate water by pressing the pushbutton. This caused all sorts of grief in my household. Here is how I managed to repair my Jet to give it another 10 years of life (hopefully). First, a look at the button The fill button on the top of the SodaStream is actually a simple lever. Pressing down on the button moves a pin that does the actual work of pressing open the Carbonator's valve. Unfortunately, the axis point is fairly thin and can see a lot of stress. That's where my Soda Stream button cracked. [ I think the usage tip here is "don't over-press the button like a gorilla, it doesn't do anything but put high stress on the button."] Cracked levering point of the button The Pesky Lever Retaining Pin The Fix It was pretty easy for me to replace the button: Take off the back of the Soda Stream and remove the carbonator. Push out the the button lever's steel retaining pin. This takes qu

Sodastream Carbonator Leakage, Usage, and Weight

SodaStream 60L "Carbonator" CO2 cylinders have a specific weight when empty, plus about 410 or so grams for the CO2 they should have when they're "full".  A little while ago I went to buy a replacement Carbonator from my local hardware store. The dealer pulled a new Carbonator out of the box and sensed it was lighter than usual.  He put the "light" Carbonator in the "empty" pile and sold me a different one.  At that moment I concluded that it would be smart of me to weigh both new and empty SodaStream carbonators.  Here are the results. Weighing a SodaStream Carbonator - for both Science and Consumer Protection.       The dealer told me that sometimes the carbonators leak after they leave the SodaStream filling facility.  That means there could be an opportunity for customers like me to get ripped off! The SodaStream cylinders I buy claim to have a net product weight of 410 grams - and that means that a full Soda Stream Carbonator shou

Fixing my Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer

Not everyone would bother repairing a $25 beard trimmer, but why not fix something for under $5 instead of spending another $25? My  Wahl 9918 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer  has admirably performed its beauty duty for many years, but the time came when the battery just wasn't holding a charge any more.  Most people would just put the trimmer in the trash and buy a new one, but I figured I could repair my otherwise excellent Wahl and save some money. In fact, even high priced trimmer and rotary shaver brands, like Norelco and Remington, can be easily repaired using a process similar to the one I used to fix my Wahl.  Read on to find out how. I opened up the Wahl by popping off the black plastic faceplate with a tiny flathead screwdriver, which revealed two screws.  By removing the two screws I was able to easily open up the unit, revealing the guts of the device. Backplate off, Revealing the screws The internals are rather simple: a motor, a simple circuit boar

Adding a Water Flood Sensor to my Vista-20p alarm system

My Honeywell Vista 20p alarm system is fairly comprehensive, but I want one more feature: an alarm that lets me know when my sump pump isn't working properly. Here is how I added one for about $8 in special parts.   I'm afraid of a flood in my finished basement. I'm fortunate - my basement sump pump system is already redundant, with two independent pumps and two outflow pipes. The primary pump kicks in when the water level reaches 6 inches, and if that doesn't work, then the backup pump kicks in when the water level reaches 7 inches.  The backup pump should never kick in unless the primary pump is having a problem pumping.   But there is a problem with this setup: I might never know if my primary pump has failed, leaving me with no redundancy.  I want to be informed when I have one (or god forbid, two) pump failures. My goal is to have my Vista 20p alert me when the sump's water level is ever beyond the point where my primary pump should have kicked in, alerting me

Robust Installation of an HDHomeRun Networked TV Tuner. 64 OTA channels!

I added an HDHomerun (HDHR) over-the-air (OTA) streaming box to my home network, bringing over-the-air broadcast TV to my computers, phones and tablets.  The HDHR is a big upgrade from my previous setup: using a simple "window mount" antenna directly connected to my TV. A TV-attached antenna is good for watching some TV for free, but the HDHR offers so much more flexibility. Figure 0: HDHomeRun on my basement wall   My original OTA TV setup was haphazard at best. It was finicky, ugly, and hard for other people at home to use. I would actually tape my antenna to a window whenever I wanted to watch OTA TV. Plus, it only worked on my TV and not with my other devices. I wanted a cleaner and more modern OTA setup. After looking at possibilities, I developed two goals: (1) bring my OTA TV into the modern Internet-connected era, and (2) set it up in a reliable and pretty way so that other family members wouldn't have to fool around with the antenna or anything else.  With that,

Other Posts

Show more