When is the best time to have the dishwasher run?
For me, that's about 6:00 AM. Here's why:
- By running the dishwasher right before my shower, the hot water pipes are warmed up, reducing wasted water.
- The fewer cycles on the hot water tank, the more efficient it is. Since I take a shower soon after 6 AM, the tank will "see" fewer heating cycles.
- The waste heat from the dishwasher will help heat my house in the morning, when the furnace is going.
- After I'm done with my morning bathroom excursion, the dishes will be clean and ready to put away.
- 6 AM is off-peak in terms of energy consumption.